About Me

My photo
I am usually typing on a computer most of the day, but today I am trying my hand at a new project: My 2011 365-Day Photo Journey. I gained a love for photography when I was required to take a fine arts class for college--I chose photography. The course required a lot of work--Professor Loehr saw to that--but it opened my eyes to a new world. It's been many years since I took that class and I don't know how much I actually remember, but following Laura Delagal's 365 Photo Journey and watching my niece's love for taking pictures has peeked my interested in photography again. Although I don't have a professional camera, I did receive a really nice Sony digital (point-and-shoot) camera from my sweetie for Christmas this year. Going through some difficult times in my life, I thought that undertaking my own 365-day photo journey might be a way to relieve a little stress and have some fun with my new toy. Through this journey I will capture some of life's joy and its pain, but I will also be able to refocus the lens of my life on the many wonderful things that God has created. Well, here goes. Wish me luck!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 79 - 3/20/2011

I have seen Laura and others of you take some great photos of birds, but I can't even get close to a bird.  Melvin decided that in order for me to attract more birds (close enough to photogragh), I needed a bird feeder.  He's been talking about getting me one, so Saturday night we made a stop by Lowe's and got me a bird feeder and some bird seed.  Today, he hung it in the tree in my front yard, and we filled it with seed.  He is so handy to have around--he has built shelves in my closet, hung the gutters on the front of my house--just to name a few things.


New Bird Feeder

I was having trouble getting a good shot of the bird feeder because I couldn't get a very shallow depth of field with my camera.  Fortunately, he had brought his Nikon D5000 and I used it to take some photos.  I took a pic of the bird feeder and also took quite a few pics of him too.  He cut down some limbs out of the tree in order to be able to hang the bird feeder.  I took the pics of him while he was taking a rest in the rocker on the front porch.

Melvin Moseley
Isn't he handsome?!

7 comments:

  1. nice focus on the bird feeder, Cheryl!!!! Say hi to Melvin..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very intriguing picture of the bird feeder, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl, be sure to thank Melvin for me for hanging your bird feeder. What a nice guy! I can't wait to see the bird photos you'll get with it. That's what I do, too. I hung several feeders along the edge of our woods to attract them closer, then I try to sneak up on them. I just bought another one today with black oil sunflower seeds for my elusive cardinals (I've declared war on them...I "will" get a closer shot!!!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go, Michelle! I tell you, I could so get spoiled to using his camera too!!! I wonder if he would notice it if I hid it. ;-) lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't give up, Cheryl. The birds are leaving my feeder now because the bugs are more plentiful and delicious ... They'll get used to it being there and then you'll have A LOT more birds visiting this winter. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same here, no bird feeder, no birds close-by:) I'm sure you'll have pretty soon some birds stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately, on Monday when I came home from work, I noticed that the bird feeder was hanging by only one side of the hanger and all of the bird seed had fallen to the ground. I was sick! Maybe this weekend I can put it back together to see about capturing some of those beautiful birds. However, there is now plenty of bird seed on the ground, so I should have had a yard full of birds. lol

    ReplyDelete