About Me

My photo
I am usually typing on a computer most of the day, but today I am trying my hand at a new project: My 2011 365-Day Photo Journey. I gained a love for photography when I was required to take a fine arts class for college--I chose photography. The course required a lot of work--Professor Loehr saw to that--but it opened my eyes to a new world. It's been many years since I took that class and I don't know how much I actually remember, but following Laura Delagal's 365 Photo Journey and watching my niece's love for taking pictures has peeked my interested in photography again. Although I don't have a professional camera, I did receive a really nice Sony digital (point-and-shoot) camera from my sweetie for Christmas this year. Going through some difficult times in my life, I thought that undertaking my own 365-day photo journey might be a way to relieve a little stress and have some fun with my new toy. Through this journey I will capture some of life's joy and its pain, but I will also be able to refocus the lens of my life on the many wonderful things that God has created. Well, here goes. Wish me luck!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 61 - 3/2/2011


Nonna and her precious granddaughter, Kellyanne Elizabeth
Many months back friends begin to ask me what grandmother name I wanted to be called--it seems there's quite a variety these days.  Well, I really hadn't thought much about it.  I knew that I didn't want to be called Ma-maw, since my my kids called my mother Ma-Maw and I called my dad's mother Mamaw.  My children called their dad's mother Nanny, but somehow that just didn't seem to fit me.  I don't know exactly why, but perhaps it was because I just didn't feel that I could ever fill Nanny's shoes.  She was quite a woman!  Not that the other grandmothers weren't; it's just that Nanny really had a way with my children. Okay, so I knew the names I didn't want to be called, but I still had to decided what I wanted my grandchildren to call me.

I had heard some of my friends being called  Mimi, Cici, Gigi, Nanna (short a sound), & Nana (nah-nah), and perhaps a few names that I just can't recall at the moment.  But the name that stuck out to me came from one of my co-workers who is Italian.   Her grandchildren call her Nonna, which is Italian for grandmother.  I just love to here her say, Nonna (no - nah)--of course, it might sound so lovely because of her beautiful Italitan accent.  Anyway, I liked it so much, that I chose to be called Nonna myself.  Besides, I've always liked to be different than everyone else.  Seems like I knew a lot of Mimi's and Nanna's. But, a lot will depend on what Miss Kellyanne and Mr. Lachlan can and will say.  Whatever they choose, I know that I will love it.  I'm so very proud to be a grandmother, however they choose to say it!

God has blessed me with two precious grandchildren.  This is a picture of me with Kellyanne.  Obviously, I didn't take it.  My daughter Kelly took it. But I thought it was too special for it not to be my photo of the day.   I hope soon to post a photo of me and Lachlan, Clint's son.  His birthday is coming up later this month and, just maybe, we will get to take a road trip for his birthday.

Well, it's nite nite for this grandmother!  I know that I'm behind on visiting all of my 365 neighbors' blogs, but I hope to visit each of your sites over the next couple of days.

Goodnight and God Bless you,
Nonna (aka, Cheryl)

4 comments:

  1. When Matt was born, Dave's mom wanted to be called "Grandmom," but Matt decided on "Nanna." We have no idea where he got that, Grandmom and Nanna sound nothing alike ... You just reminded me how much I miss her now. On the 8th of March she will have been gone 7 years. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful picture.THe love between a Grandmother and her grandchildren is so special.
    Blessings,Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! The best influence in my life (and my best friend to this day) is my Grandmother. She took care of me when I was younger, and I've been her caretaker on many occasions due to health issues. Amazingly...she's back home living on her own again. I've learned many of life's important lessons in her kitchen over a chocolate chip cookie. I ~KNOW~ you will be a wonderful Nonna to Kellyanne and make a difference in her life the way mine has done for me. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So happy for you Nonna! Such a beautiful baby!

    ReplyDelete