About Me

My photo
I am usually typing on a computer most of the day, but today I am trying my hand at a new project: My 2011 365-Day Photo Journey. I gained a love for photography when I was required to take a fine arts class for college--I chose photography. The course required a lot of work--Professor Loehr saw to that--but it opened my eyes to a new world. It's been many years since I took that class and I don't know how much I actually remember, but following Laura Delagal's 365 Photo Journey and watching my niece's love for taking pictures has peeked my interested in photography again. Although I don't have a professional camera, I did receive a really nice Sony digital (point-and-shoot) camera from my sweetie for Christmas this year. Going through some difficult times in my life, I thought that undertaking my own 365-day photo journey might be a way to relieve a little stress and have some fun with my new toy. Through this journey I will capture some of life's joy and its pain, but I will also be able to refocus the lens of my life on the many wonderful things that God has created. Well, here goes. Wish me luck!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 65 - 3/6/2011

Azalea blossom
In my previous post, I said that I didn't take any photos on Sunday.  Actually that's not true, when I began to look through the few pictures that I had taken, I saw that I had taken two photos of a female cardinal. And although she really was that far away from me, my point-and-shoot camera just didn't have the capacity to capture a good shot of her.  I tried to crop the shot, but the photo began to get out of focus.  So, I grabbed a photo from last week that I had taken and didn't use.

I played around with the photo in post-editing until I got a look that I was okay with.  The original shot wasn't anything to write home about.  The azalea bushes were just beginning to bloom and so there were only a few blooms on the bushes.  I leaned over to capture this shot.  I had hoped the single blossom would stand out, but it didn't.  So, I went into Photoscape and started playing around with it--resizing it, brightening it, making the colors richer . . .  I don't recall all that I did in the editing process, but this is the finished product.  I never did accomplish exactly what I wanted, but in the end, it came out okay.

Thank goodness for those days when we are photo hounds and have some photos in reserve!  In the beginning I didn't think I would need "reserve photos," but life happens and photgraphy is a wonderful tool to capture those moments, but it is only a wonderful hobby!

2 comments:

  1. I have the same frustration with my point and shoot. I have to get really close in order to get a good picture of birds (it's maddening at times...but it has helped me develop another skill---sneaking up on things. ;)). You mentioned blur in the note you left me. Sometimes when that happens (usually when I'm really close and zoomed all the way out), I'll back up a little, refocus, and it'll be clear. Not sure if that'll help you or not, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. You find the prettiest flowers. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Cheryl, where'd you find an azalea already in bloom. It's beautiful. I know you're loving this early spring. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete