About Me

My photo
I am usually typing on a computer most of the day, but today I am trying my hand at a new project: My 2011 365-Day Photo Journey. I gained a love for photography when I was required to take a fine arts class for college--I chose photography. The course required a lot of work--Professor Loehr saw to that--but it opened my eyes to a new world. It's been many years since I took that class and I don't know how much I actually remember, but following Laura Delagal's 365 Photo Journey and watching my niece's love for taking pictures has peeked my interested in photography again. Although I don't have a professional camera, I did receive a really nice Sony digital (point-and-shoot) camera from my sweetie for Christmas this year. Going through some difficult times in my life, I thought that undertaking my own 365-day photo journey might be a way to relieve a little stress and have some fun with my new toy. Through this journey I will capture some of life's joy and its pain, but I will also be able to refocus the lens of my life on the many wonderful things that God has created. Well, here goes. Wish me luck!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 149 - May 29, 2011

When I walked into the nursing home today, I found mother in a bundle of tears.  The receptionist said that she had been like that most of the day.  I'm sad to say that it had been a bad day for her.  She tried to tell me what a bad week that she had experienced.  Apparently, she has been hallucinating some which has caused her paranoia.  My poor mother was so afraid.  I held her while she cried and tried to comfort her.   Later, the chaplain's wife, seeing that mother was so upset, brought Brody by for mother to hold.  The minute Brody crawled up in her laps she began to calm down .


Mother and Brody
Mother hugged Brody and kept saying, "I love you, little Brody!  I love you!"  It's amazing how much comfort an animal can give to the elderly or someone like my mother.  Mother loves Miss Bridget, our little Pomeranian so much!  But for now, Brody is the closest thing to Bridget she can get.


Mother & Brody

I wish I could say that when I left her she still had that beautiful smile on her face, but that's not the case.  When we parted she was crying once again.   We hugged her neck and told her we loved her.  But she called out to Melvin and hugged his neck again and told him, "I don't guess I'll see you no more."  He assured her that he would see her again.

It was hard to leave her because she was afraid.  Gloria, one of the sweet nurses there, and I assured her that she was in good hands, and that nothing was going to harm her.

You know, it's hard to walk away and leave your mother when she begs to go home with you and when she is so afraid.  I have to place her in God's hands and in their care of the nurses at Allen Memorial.  My prayer is that God would restore her mind, but if for some reason He choose not to, I have to trust Him anyway.  Please continue to remember my mother, Jean Barnett, in your prayers.  Thank you, my friends!

4 comments:

  1. I will be praying for your dear Mother and for you as well.This must be unbelievably hard for you my friend.I trust that God will comfort Mothers' heart as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely keep her in my prayers. Sorry she is having a hard time, but I am glad she was able to find some comfort for a while. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl, this sounds so hard to see your mom this way. I will pray for her and you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad there are animals in the nursing home where your mom is. They add so much. My heart breaks for you, Cheryl. Praying for you and your sweet mom.

    ReplyDelete